Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trip back to Haiti!

After spending three wonderful, relaxing days in Santo Domingo, it was time to head back to Port-au-Prince. Once again, I headed to the airport to catch a UN charter flight. However, instead of hopping aboard a 12-seater plane, we were greeted by something else: a Russian helicopter, complete with angry Russian crew.

Highlights:
- As I was the last person to board, I was drew the short straw when it came to getting the necessary noise-cancelling headphones....which led to the following exchange:
Me (to the Russian pilot): Umm, are there any more?
Angry Russian pilot: No, there are no more. And yes, you will be quite uncomfortable. It will be very loud. Bad luck for you, no?
Me: Thanks. (You don't argue with a Russian helicopter pilot)

Luckily for me, I brought along my iPod and bose headphones. In your face, Russia!



Our charriott awaits. Nothing inspires confidence like a Soviet era, Russian piloted helicopter.


Me and Valerie, my lovely Czech neighbor. Gotta love the UN.


When Russians tell you not to smoke, they mean it.


Tight quarters, again.


Arriving back at the UN in Port-au-Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment